This set of Embedded Systems Interview Questions and Answers focuses on “Examples of Embedded System Digital Signal Processing”.
1. What are the factors of filters which are determined by the speed of the operation in a digital signal processor?
a) attenuation constant
Explanation: The bandwidth of any filter depends on the speed of operations held in a digital signal processor.
2. How many tables does an FIR function of a digital signal processor possess?
Explanation: Digital signal processor function involves setting up of two tables and one is for sampled data and the other table is for filter coefficients which determine the filter response. It takes values from the table and performs programs.
3. Why is said that branch prediction is not applicable in a digital signal processor?
a) low bandwidth
b) high bandwidth
c) low frequency
d) high frequency
Explanation: Loop control timing varies depending on the branch predictions which inturn make bandwidth predictions difficult thereby lowering the bandwidth of the digital signal processor.
4. Which architecture can one overcome the low bandwidth issue in MC6800 family?
c) von Neumann
d) program stored
Explanation: RISC architecture can offer some improvement in the low bandwidth issue since it has the ability to perform operations in a single cycle.
5. Which architecture in digital signal processor reduces the execution time?
c) program storage
d) von Neumann
Explanation: Harvard architecture in a digital signal processor allows continuous data fetching and performing the corresponding instructions.
6. Which of the following processors also can work as a digital signal processor?
Explanation: ARM9E can also have DSP level of performance without having a digital signal processor by its enhanced DSP instructions.
7. What types of modules are used in the digital signal processor to form the loop structure?
d) external timer
Explanation: By using hardware multipliers, counters etc the entire hardware can be redesigned to perform some specific functions which are used in digital signal processors. One such is the modulo-counter to form the loop structure.
8. Name a processor which is used in digital audio appliances.
b) Motorola DSP56000
Explanation: Motorola DSP56000 is a powerful digital signal processor which is used in digital audio applications which have the capability of noise reduction and multi-band graphics whereas 8087 is a coprocessor and 80486 and 8086 are microprocessors.
9. How many bit does DSP56000 processor have?
Explanation: In order to increase the resolution, DSP56000 is a 24-bit data word processor.
10. How many buses did DSP56000 possess?
Explanation: It possess three separate external buses, one is for the program and the remaining two buses are for X and Y memories for data.
11. Which of the following architecture does DSP56000 possess?
b) von Neumann
Explanation: DSP56000 possess Harvard architecture since this architecture has separate bus for program memory and data memory.
12. What does AAU stand for?
a) arithmetic address unit
b) address arithmetic unit
c) address access unit
d) arithmetic access unit
Explanation: DSP56000 possess two external bus switches in which one is for data and the other is for the address for communicating with the outside world and these two switches are reproduced by the internal data bus and AAU.
13. How many address register does the AAU of a DSP56000 have?
Explanation: AAU have 24 address registers in three banks of eight.
14. How many register does a DSP56000 have?
Explanation: DSP56000 have six 24-bit registers for controlling the loop counts,operating mode, stack manipulation and condition codes.
15. Which of the following bits are used for sign extension in DSP56000?
a) upper 8 bits of the stack pointer
b) lower 8 bits of the stack pointer
c) lower 8 bits of the program counter
d) upper 8 bits of the program counter
Explanation: The DSP56000 have a 24-bit program counter in which the upper 8 bits are only used for sign extension.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Embedded System.
To practice all areas of Embedded Systems for Interviews, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.