This set of Introduction to Chemical Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Measurement of Pressure”.
1. What is the pressure if 10 N of force is acting normally on 5 m2 surface area?
a) 2 Pa
b) 4 Pa
c) 8 Pa
d) 10 Pa
Explanation: Pressure = 10/5 = 2Pa.
2. What is the pressure if 10 N of force acts at 60 degrees from the normal of a 5 m2 surface?
a) 0.5 Pa
b) 1 Pa
c) 2 Pa
d) 4 Pa
Explanation: Normal component of the force = 10cos60o = 10*0.5 = 5 N, => Pressure = 5/5 = 1 Pa.
3. What is the pressure if 10 N of force acts at 30 degrees from the surface of area 5 m2?
a) 1 Pa
b) 2 Pa
c) 5 Pa
d) 10 Pa
Explanation: Normal component of the force = 10sin30o = 10*0.5 = 5 N, => Pressure = 5/5 = 1 Pa.
4. What is the pressure of 1 mole of an ideal gas at 27oC occupying 1 Liter of volume?
a) 12.31 atm
b) 24.63 atm
c) 36.95 atm
d) 48.94 atm
Explanation: For ideal gas PV = nRT, => P = 1*0.0821*300/1 = 24.63 atm.
5. An open tank 10 m deep is completely filled with a liquid of density 5 kg/m3, what is the pressure difference at the top and bottom?
a) 100 N/m2
b) 250 N/m2
c) 500 N/m2
d) 1000 N/m2
Explanation: Pressure difference = dgh = 5*10*10 = 500 N/m2.
6. 10 mm of water (density = 1000 kg/m3) and 5 mm of a liquid has the same pressure drop, what is the density of liquid?
a) 500 kg/m3
b) 1000 kg/m3
c) 1500 kg/m3
d) 2000 kg/m3
Explanation: pressure of water = pressure of liquid, => d1h1 = d2h2, => 10*1000 = 5*d2, => d2 = 2000 kg/m3.
7. Which of the following is not a pressure measuring device?
d) None of the mentioned
Explanation: Galvanometer is used to measure current.
8. Bernoulli’s Equation is the conservation of?
Explanation: Bernoulli’s equation is modified form of conservation of energy equation.
9. What is the pressure difference of the ends of a U-tube manometer filled with liquid (density = 10 kg/m3) the difference in the height of the liquid in the tubes is 5 cm?
a) 5 N/m2
b) 10 N/m2
c) 15 N/m2
d) 20 N/m2
Explanation: Pressure difference = dgh = 10*10*0.05 = 5 N/m2.
10. A hydraulic lever has input surface area 2 m2, and output surface area 10 m2, if the input force is 5 N, then what is the output force?
a) 1 N
b) 2 N
c) 5 N
d) 10 N
Explanation: Hydraulic lever works on the Pascal’s principle, => F1A1 = F2A2, => 5*2 = F2*10, => F2 = 1 N.
11. A Closed U-tube manometer has a gas at one end and vacuum at other end, if the height difference of the liquid (density = 10 kg/m3) in the manometer in 5 cm, what is the pressure of the gas?
a) 10 N/m2
b) 5 N/m2
c) 2.5 N/m2
d) 1 N/m2
Explanation: Pressure of the gas = dgh = 10*10*0.05 = 5 N/m2.
12. Archimedes’ principle describes which of the following quantities?
Explanation: Archimedes’ principle states that buoyant force on a body is equal to the weight of the body.
13. An object is dipped in water, if the weight of the object measured by spring balance is 10 g and buoyancy force acting on the object is 0.1 N then what is the actual mass of the object?
a) 10 g
b) 20 g
c) 30 g
d) 40 g
Explanation: Weight of the object = (10*10-3)*10 + 0.1 = 0.2 N, => actual mass of the object = 0.2/10 = 0.02 kg = 20 g.
14. An open end manometer is filled with a gas on one end and other end is open to atmosphere with height difference of liquid (density = 10000 Kg/m3) 10 cm, what is the pressure of gas?
a) 1 atm
b) 1.1 atm
c) 1.2 atm
d) 1.3 atm
Explanation: Pressure = 1 + 10000*10*0.1/101325 = 1.1 atm.
15. A closed end manometer is filled with a gas on one end and other end is close with vacuum, height difference of liquid (density = 10000 Kg/m3) 25 cm, what is the pressure of gas?
a) 0.1 atm
b) 0.24 atm
c) 0.36 atm
d) 0.9 atm
Explanation: Pressure = 10000*10*0.25/101325 = 0.24 atm.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Introduction to Chemical Engineering.
To practice all areas of Introduction to Chemical Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.