This is a C program to convert octal number to decimal.
This program takes a octal number as input and converts it into decimal number.
1. Take a octal number as input.
2. Multiply each digits of the octal number starting from the last with the powers of 8 respectively.
3. Add all the multiplied digits.
4. The total sum gives the decimal number.
Here is source code of the C program to Convert Octal to Decimal. The C program is successfully compiled and run on a Linux system. The program output is also shown below.
* C Program to Convert Octal to Decimal
long int octal, decimal = 0;
int i = 0;
printf("Enter any octal number: ");
while (octal != 0)
decimal = decimal +(octal % 10)* pow(8, i++);
octal = octal / 10;
printf("Equivalent decimal value: %ld",decimal);
1. Take the octal number as input and store it in the variable octal.
2. Initialize the variables decimal and i to zero.
3. Obtain the remainder and quotient of the octal number. Multiply the remainder by powers of 8 using function pow(8, i++), add this value to the variable decimal and store it in the variable decimal.
4. Override the variable octal with quotient.
5. Repeat the steps 3 and 4 with the quotient obtained until the quotient becomes zero.
6. Print the variable decimal as output.
Output: Enter any octal number: 67 Equivalent decimal value: 55
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – 1000 C Programs.