This set of Biochemistry Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “The Structure Of Chromosomes”.
1. The DNA threads which appear inside the nucleus at the time of cell division
a) Spindle fibers
Explanation: Chromosome is a thread-like DNA structure carrying genetic information in the form of genes.
2. Which of the following is not a major class of chromatin proteins?
c) SMC proteins
Explanation: Cohesins are the proteins in SMC family.
3. Which of the following plays a substantial role in linking together sister chromatids immediately after replication?
Explanation: The cohesins play a substantial role in linking together sister chromatids immediately after replication and keeping them together as the chromosomes condense to metaphase.
4. Which of the following are essential to the condensation of chromosomes as cells enter mitosis?
Explanation: Cohesins are important immediately after replication.
5. Chromatin is composed of
b) DNA and proteins
c) DNA, RNA and proteins
Explanation: DNA + histones combination is termed as chromatin.
6. Which of the following histones bind to linker DNA?
Explanation: The bead of each nucleosome contains eight histone molecules: two copies each of H2A, H2B, H3 and H4.
7. Which of the following has beads on a string structure?
Explanation: DNA winds around histone proteins forming nucleosomes: the beads on a string structure.
8. Which of the following histones shows more sequence similarity among eukaryotic species?
Explanation: The H3 histones are nearly identical in amino acid sequence in all eukaryotes, as are the H4 histones.
9. The sister chromatids separate at
Explanation: During anaphase, each chromosomal pair is separated into two identical and independent chromosomes.
10. Cellular DNA is uncondensed throughout
Explanation: During interphase, the cell’s DNA is not condensed.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Biochemistry.
To practice all areas of Biochemistry, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.