This set of Basic Civil Engineering Multiple Choice Questions & Answers (MCQs) focuses on “Varnish”.
1. How many ingredients is varnish composed of?
Explanation: The three components of varnish are resins, driers and solvents.
2. Which of the below is not an artificial resin?
Explanation: Shellac is a natural resin obtained from the secretion of female lac bug. All other options are artificially obtained.
3. Driers in varnish are used as:
Explanation: Drier is the ingredient in varnish which accelerators the process of drying of applied varnish.
4. Wood naphtha, a cheap variety of resin, is also called:
a) Methyl alcohol
b) Synthetic rubber
Explanation: Methyl alcohol was produced chiefly as a by-product of destructive distillation of wood. Hence, the name wood naphtha.
5. The word varnish is derived from the word:
a) Latin varne
b) Latin Vernix
c) Greek Vernix
d) Green varne
Explanation: Varnish comes from Latin word vernix, which means odourous resin.
6. Which of the below is an oil based varnish?
Explanation: Urethane and Acrylic are water based resins.
7. Which of the below is most commonly used resin in commercial varnishes?
d) Satin Gloss
Explanation: Alkyd resin is less expensive. It is a type of polyester resin and its combined with alcohol and acid. It is cooked with oil to create varnish.
8. ________ Varnish is also called French varnish and used for furniture.
Explanation: Spirit varnish is quick drying. It is not very resistant to weathering and is generally used for furniture.
9. Water based finishes have a blue tint to it.
Explanation: The water based vanishes have a blue tint and when applied to wood, it looks pale, cold and washed out.
10. Solvents contain high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids.
Explanation: Drying oils are the ones that contains high levels of polyunsaturated fatty acids. These include linseed oil, tung oil and walnut oil.
Sanfoundry Global Education & Learning Series – Basic Civil Engineering.
To practice all areas of Basic Civil Engineering, here is complete set of 1000+ Multiple Choice Questions and Answers.